Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Unavoidable Nature of Work

Work is an unavoidable fact. There’s no escaping it.

There was a time in my life when having a real job just didn’t fit into my busy schedule. Those creative (though hungry) times stretched through my twenties until the long spans between meals became too uncomfortable.

Luckily for the most part I enjoy what I do. There is simplicity in cutting large pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood and then reassembling them back into larger pieces of wood. Those are the fundamentals of what I do and I’ve gotten quite good at it over the years. I eat at fairly regular intervals these days and my biggest problem lately seems to be too much work. I returned from my month of traveling a couple of weeks ago and I literally haven’t had a full day off since. Financially this is exactly what I need but I know if I can’t keep it up physically, emotionally, or spiritually for very long. I’ve been down this road before and it always ends with me exhausted and making dumb mistakes or shooting a pin through my finger and bleeding on my work. I’m trying to avoid all that…

Here's Patrick at his job. Standing at attention behind the front desk of the Waldof Hotel.


2 comments:

  1. Bruce's blood-stained furniture. I see a niche market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That exclusive line has been around for a number years--it's very expensive!

    ReplyDelete