Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Crosstown Christmas


The words “Christmas vacation” bring to mind tropical beaches, ski chalets, or maybe the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center in New York. I have friends who are embarking on such winter holidays. I’m going across town to spend Christmas in the Lee Building. The building I lived in for two years when I moved back to Vancouver from Massachusetts.

The beauty of hotel living is in its flexibility. My friend called me shortly before he left town and asked if I wanted to housesit for him while he was in Mexico. I said, “Why not,” and he left his keys for me at the coffee shop downstairs on the corner. I packed a change of clothes and a toothbrush and drove across town to start my vacation. The Lee Building and I share history. It was where I first began my quest almost three years ago for “home”/”place” and I am comfortable within its solid brick walls.

Another notable fact is last December in my apartment on the fourth floor of this building I began this blog both as a way to promote my business and to pursue the concept of “home”. Since that time it has had many thousands of hits from six of the seven continents (I’m waiting on Antarctica). Though I greatly appreciate the tremendous support and feedback I have gotten through this endeavor the truth is that this is primarily a personal exercise. It’s in writing this blog that I am able to gain insight into what it is I am searching for. A connection to community but also a connection to “place” within myself. I’ve found that in reconciliation with the past there comes an acceptance of the present and it’s that acceptance that allows the formation of “home”.

I’m still working on this and likely will be for a lifetime. For now it’s just nice to be home for the holidays.



(Did I mention my friend has a beautiful apartment full of beautiful things?)

1 comment:

  1. Nice,,,so I totally get this although I dont vacation over Xmas of course. So not sure is it the WAldorf Smokestack or the LEE's for you.

    S Claus, North Pole

    ReplyDelete