Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Monday, January 9, 2012

Utilitarian Vs. Aesthetic


My friends at Barbarella Hair Salon approached me recently about building some new storage for their back room. They wanted something inexpensive but aesthetically attractive. The result was a utilitarian piece with clean sliding panel doors and a simple black arborite counter for mixing colors. I had some pieces of vertical grain fir plywood I’d been holding onto that I used for the panels. I stained these a dark walnut and used lighter clear-coated maple edging to create a contrast I thought was interesting.

I like the challenge of a budget. It forces me to come up with creative design solutions and also helps clean out some of the clutter in the material racks.

The photos below are the cabinets loosely assembled in the shop. I'll post photos of them post installation on the Funhouse Facebook Page later









No comments:

Post a Comment