Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Heavy

Getting Shiny






My grandfather once told me his friends were afraid that he would decide to build his own coffin and it would be too heavy to lift--He made solid heavy furniture--He built my family a beautiful coffee table he constructed out of railroad ties banded together with thick strips of brass and we moved it from Florida to Maine--Prince Edward Island to Vancouver--and countless moves in between--it was indestructible--


In keeping with the Wilson family tradition I find myself often building very heavy pieces--Black Sabbath/Motorhead kind of heavy--The Wilsons are generally not known for their delicate natures and I am doing my best to carry this forward--this table being the perfect example--the top alone weighs a good 140 lbs and the bottom is around 80 lbs--I think my grandfather would be proud--


My friend Shane came over to help me move it into the paint room and it is presently receiving multiple coats of spar varnish (applied by my intrepid painter friend Mr. Jamey Koch)--it's getting as shiny as it is heavy!




The bottom upside down

1 comment:

  1. I love this table, Bruce. And I am proud to say your grandfather built a lot of the furniture I grew up with - living room, bedroom, dining room. I wish I still had that stuff. I was in my 30s when my parents finally got new furniture, I think, but they had it for a very, very long time. My guess is with new mattresses and upholstery, the it's all still going strong for whoever was lucky enough to get it.

    Ara

    ReplyDelete