Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Man with Grey Eyes



This painting by 16th century painter Titian, "The Man with Grey Eyes" (also called "The Englishman") hung in our house throughout my childhood--I cropped this image from the larger original to match the print that my parents bought in Italy when I was a baby--it was a constant in my life and moved with us innumerable times from country to country, state to state, province to province--it was something I could always count on--It also used to terrify me--his eyes, penetrating and  inescapable, would follow me as I walked past him--there was something about his continuous watching that made him so much more than a simple painting and there were times I was certain I saw him blink--

As I got older I came to accept him as a member of our family--he had been there as long as I could remember--he had his own personality and I came to see him as dependable--watching over us with benevolence rather than a sinister intent--later in my life my parents passed him on to me and he moved with me, again across towns and borders--sadly during my last move from east to west he was lost and I was surprised by the feeling of grief I felt--this man had seen my entire life and there was a connection I felt to him--I've lost many things in many moves but for some reason this affected me more than the others--The Man with Grey Eyes was a much a part of our family as I was and to have him gone was like losing a piece of our family--I can only hope he's found a new home and family to watch over--

No comments:

Post a Comment