Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Monday, September 19, 2011

Meditation in the Racks

Sometimes my shop is simply a place I go to think. It’s a large space where I can sit, pace, make phone calls, write notes, and generally work through problems or ideas. When I need more area than my hotel room but still want to be alone that’s where I go. It helps me organize my thoughts and prioritize. Today I spent a couple of hours taking inventory of what was available in the material racks for upcoming projects and going through the initial design processes in my head.

Function. Form. Structure. Material. Joinery.

As I looked through the lumber racks I began thinking of the projects in my life. Occasionally I’d stop to take notes or call someone to verbalize ideas and get feedback. These periods of shop meditation are often interactive. I depend on others for objective clarity to help me visualize what is possible.

The end result is perspicuity and renewed direction. When I turn off the lights and lock the door behind me I have a better grasp of the bigger picture. I leave with a sense of purpose and peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment