Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Monday, September 5, 2011

Waldorf Diaries--Expansion and Contraction


360 Degree Quiet


As much as I appreciate small spaces I’m aware of a point when my hotel room begins to constrict around me. Life breathes. It expands and contracts. This evening in the midst of the contraction it was necessary for me to get out. I made my way to a Main street diner and ordered the pulled pork and macaroni and cheese. I ate my cardiac arresting dinner and chatted with the waitress about her ideas on the subjects of “home” and community. After dinner I continued this conversation with a friend sitting outside Gene Coffee drinking cappuccinos. I need these interactions though I often have to force myself out into the world to make them. My vision narrows. It dims and I need help digging myself out of a creative tunnel. It's only through those connection that I am able see light

After an exceptionally social evening I ventured down to the Convention Center plaza. It was after 10:00 pm and the broad space was virtually empty. The mountains were dark silhouettes across the harbor and the still water mirrored the lights of the north shore. I felt the expansion of breath in the quiet city center.







No comments:

Post a Comment