Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Waldorf Diaries--Opera/Punk Rock/Ratting Hotel Windows




I’m a city boy and I’ve come to accept that fact. I like traffic, sirens, and car alarms. I move in the flow of human traffic like water on sidewalks. I’m comforted by the juxtaposition of crumbling asphalt and blooming cherry trees.. I appreciate the expressions of mankind’s grandiosity. I value the dirt, decay, and the glaring signs of human frailty. I like a myriad of options.

I’ve had a little time off and I’m doing my best to get out and do things in this city. Explore the options available. Last night I got dressed up and went to see Aida with a friend. I don’t often have the opportunity to get see an Egyptian warrior entombed with his Ethiopian princess lover so it was very exciting. Exciting and so very tragic. After the opera, still dressed in our opera attire, we went across town to see a friend’s band play in a small club on the east side When I got back to the hotel I navigated my way inside through the crowd of young club kids gathered on the sidewalk outside. I had my friend who was working coat check help undo my collar button for me so I could take off my tie. Then I hung up my suit, brushed my teeth, and went to bed. I like the possibility of solitude within this kinetic collage. My windows rattled rhythmically with dubstep remixes from the club downstairs and the loud sidewalk conversations blurred into a soothing static. As peaceful as Tibetan singing bowls.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sense of calm, not despite the clamour, but in view of it. Your words convey witnessing rather than being; I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect resident.

    ReplyDelete