Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Waldorf Diaries--The Flanover




Living at the Waldorf Hotel can be a dangerous experience. I’m not referring to the hipster onslaughts or the shady characters in the parking lot. I’m not talking about being accosted with inane conversation by barely 20 somethings hopped up on Mojitos. Nor the threat of breakbeats putting me at risk of suddenly busting a potentially dangerous move. I speak of a lethal combination served with careless abandon in the restaurant below me. The late night flan and espresso combo.

Seductive.

Delicious.

Together they call to me in irresistible siren songs through the floor. Beckoning me to venture down the stairs and partake in their contrasting yet enticing complimentary flavors. The warm creamy flan drizzled in dolce leche leaving a subtle sweetness on my tongue only to have that lightness transformed into something deeper. Something darker with a simple sip of coffee. Intoxicated and entranced, I am defenseless against its lure.

The immediate effect is one of euphoria, an electric exhilaration, a desire to express myself creatively, and a feeling of rapturous invincibility. Inevitably, an hour later, those ecstatic sensations are followed by an equally radical crash that sends me crawling shamefully into bed.

Then, in the morning, there is the unavoidable Flanover. Even before my eyes are open I feel the throbbing in my temporal lobe. The morning sun coming in the window burns my parched tongue that must’ve been hanging flaccidly out of my mouth while I lay unconcious. Dehydrated and delirious I lurch towards the bathroom and fall into the shower letting the water bring me into semi-consciousness. I brush my teeth staring at myself remorsefully in the mirror. My eyes appear as two red orbs sunken deep into my skull.

Espresso. Flan. Each of these individually pose potential risks. Together they can destroy a man.


This is my shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment