Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Work is Worship


“Work is worship.”  Mahatma Ghandi

A dear of friend of mine who is helping me out in the shop brought this quote to my attention today and I can’t stop thinking about it. Labor for most of us is inevitable and necessary to survival. Coming from a long family lineage of organized labor I’ve always understood the value of work and the ethics behind it. The idea of work as a spiritual pursuit is relatively new to me but over the past few years it has become increasingly relevant. I have a very clear choice to either hate my job or alternatively try to bring something to it. These days I’m fortunate to both be doing something I’m good at and that I enjoy. Even when I have to do jobs that I have no real interest in doing (usually out of financial necessity) I try and find a connection outside myself that helps me appreciate beauty in the job—like the perfect corner of two 45 degree angles. Granted this much easier said than done but nobody said worship is easy.


4 comments:

  1. Very nice. I think labour is hard. Work is what you feel passionate about. Nice paragraph amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that! I hadn't thought of making that distinction between the two--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunate indeed Bruce ! Myself ( after I realized that I wasn't going to leave my mark on the world by being in a world famous rock band ) Alternately decided that what I could instead leave behind was good craftsmanship with my work ( a profession we share ) It has made even the most tedious and mundane aspects of construction seem less so ... I am leaving my mark on the world , like an object of art cept' hidden behind drywall !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bruce , that is a lot of worshipping piled up on your tables saw !! Get on your knees !

      Delete