Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Waldorf Diaries--Owning Space





I’ve begun considering buying an apartment in Vancouver. This has been a slow process for me. It has taken me decades to reach the point where consideration is even a possibility. My nomadic and rather unconventional life up to this point does not lend itself easily to this sort of settling decision. I do live in a hotel and that says a lot about my concept of stability. Interestingly these months at the Waldorf are what have brought me closer to the idea of owning. I’ve realized how little space I need to be happy in my life. I certainly don’t need a house or even a one-bedroom condo. My dream home would be a 350-400 square foot empty space with excellent light and high ceilings. A blank canvas that I could build on. My second realization is that I might actually like Vancouver. Despite its struggles trying transform into an international city of cultural worth I can see that it’s trying. I feel like I should be a part of that. It doesn’t seem like I’m going anywhere else.

This isn’t going to happen overnight. I like my hotel room and I need time to internalize this shift in my thinking. I’ll know when I see it. That much I’m certain of.

No comments:

Post a Comment