Waldorf Hotel Cafe

Waldorf Hotel Cafe
Waldorf Hotel Cafe--Designed by Scott Cohen--Built by Funhouse/PGC

Sunday, February 19, 2012

An Education





My formal post secondary education is limited. I’ve attended a few colleges, taken classes at University extension programs, and I went to design school long enough to learn the fundamental ideas (and enough time to know I’d never be a draughtsman). At times my lack of a university degree has led to feelings of inadequacy. This usually occurred when surrounded by people at a party discussing their dissertations. What I have come to learn is people absorb information in different ways. I internalize knowledge best from first hand experience and a tactile approach to education. I am sensory motivated and if I can see, hear, and touch something I am more likely to understand and learn. Much of what I know has come from books I have read but reading about La Sagrada Familia and looking at photos of the Gaudi masterpiece is very different from getting vertigo climbing the narrow steps in one of its towers. I’ll take vertigo over a lecture hall any day.

1 comment: